DONG Energy has placed a milestone order with MHI Vestas Offshore Wind for the 450 MW Borkum Riffgrund 2 project in Germany. The record breaking order is the largest ever for MHI Vestas, demonstrating the markets’ confidence in the V164-8.0 MW as well as underlining the strong relationship with DONG Energy.
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind has received a 450 MW order from DONG Energy for the Borkum Riffgrund 2 project in Germany. The order for V164-8.0 MW turbines includes a five-year full-scope service contract with an availability guarantee, ensuring optimised performance of the wind power plant with maximum power output. The V164-8.0 MW turbines – rated with a capacity of 8 MW – will utilise MAX Power from the MVOW MAX Performance™ portfolio to be able to deliver a maximum output of 8.3 MW, further increasing the value for the customer.
“MHI Vestas is shaping the future of the offshore wind market with game-changing technologies that spur innovation for the industry as a whole to drive down the cost of offshore wind power,” said Jens Tommerup, CEO of MHI Vestas, and continues: “The Borkum Riffgrund 2 project represents another significant milestone in the history of MHI Vestas, and it underlines the positive response from the market to both MHI Vestas and our game-changing V164-8.0 MW turbine, and we look forward to delivering this record breaking project together with DONG Energy.”
“Furthermore the uprated 8.3 MW machine with the large 164 m rotor diameter provides an optimised rotor to generator ratio, demonstrating our ongoing focus on improving our technology, continuing to maximise value for our customers.”
The order is the third from DONG Energy for the V164-8.0 MW following Burbo Bank Extension (258 MW) and Walney Extension (330 MW) and brings the order pipeline with DONG Energy to over 1 GW.
When fully commissioned in the first half of 2019 the Borkum Riffgrund 2 will be one of the largest offshore wind power plants in Germany measured by total capacity and will be able to produce green energy to cover the consumption of 460,000 German households.
The MVOW MAX Performance™ products are designed to maximise the return on investment, ensuring the optimal performance of the V164-8.0 MW.
About the Borkum Riffgrund 2 project
• Owned by DONG Energy
• Utilising record breaking V164-8.0 MW turbines, with a power output of 8.3 MW
• Located 57 km off the north-west coast of Germany
• 5-year full scope service contract with availability guarantee
• Installation and commissioning expected finalized in first half of 2019
• Approx. 30 m water depth
• Pre-assembly for the project will take place in Esbjerg, Denmark
For more information, please contact:
Director Marketing and Communications
+45 2246 1230
About MHI Vestas Offshore Wind
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind is a joint venture between Vestas Wind Systems A/S 50% and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) 50%. The company’s sole focus is to design, manufacture, install and service wind turbines for the offshore wind industry. The company aims to drive down the cost of energy from offshore wind parks by driving capital and operating savings, and increasing output of wind turbines by bringing the best technology to the market. The company is founded on collaboration, and creating powerful partnerships with key stakeholders will be the cornerstone of its business model.
About the V164-8.0 MW
• 8 MW rated power, with an optimal rotor to generator ratio
• 80 m blades, the equivalent of nine double decker London buses
• Each blade weighs 35 tonnes
• Swept area of 21,124 m2, larger than the London Eye
• The nacelle is 20 m long, 8 m wide and 8 m high, weighing approximately 390 tonnes
• Approximate hub height of 105 m (Østerild prototype 140 m)
• Approximate tip height of 187 m (Østerild prototype 220 m)
• Reduces operational and maintenance costs by enabling customers to run fewer, larger turbines
• World record production by a single wind turbine of 192 MWh in 24-hour period (October 2014)
About the history of MHI Vestas Offshore Wind
• 1 April 2014: MHI Vestas Offshore Wind officially launched
• 5 October 2014: V164-8.0 MW smashes world power record for power produced by a wind turbine (up to 16,000 British households)
• 12 November 2014: MHI Vestas Offshore Wind awarded Renewable UK “Breakthrough of the year 2014”
• 19 December 2014: First V164-8.0 MW order from DONG Energy for Burbo Bank Extension project
• 31 December 2014: V164-8.0 MW awarded Offshore Wind Turbine of the Year
• 18 May 2015: MHI Vestas Offshore Wind signs its largest offshore order for the 400 MW Rampion project
• 24 August 2015: MHI Vestas Offshore Wind signs conditional contract for 450 MW Borkum Riffgrund 2 project in Germany
• 16 December 2015: MHI Vestas Offshore Wind wins 330 MW order for Walney Extension in the UK
• 24 April 2016: First two commercial V164-8.0 MW turbines inaugurated at Maade in Denmark
• 2 June 2016: Vattenfall and MHI Vestas Offshore Wind announce the conditional contract for the 400 MW Horns Reef 3 project in Denmark.