What are cookies and how do they work?
Cookies are small pieces of information that are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Your browser sends these cookies back to the website every time you visit the site again, so it can recognize you and can then tailor what you see on the screen.
Cookies are an important part of the internet. They make using websites much smoother and affect lots of the useful features of websites.
Some cookies are essential so you can move around the website and use its features. Without these cookies, services you have asked for cannot be provided. These cookies do not gather information about you that could be used for marketing or remembering where you have been on the internet.
A group of cookies, often called ‘analytics cookies’ are used to gather information about how people navigate (find their way through) our sites. These cookies do not collect information that identifies you. The information collected is anonymous and is grouped with the information from everyone else’s cookies. We can then see the overall patterns of usage rather than any one person’s activity. Analytics cookies only record activity on the site you are on and they are only used to improve how a website works.
- Your browser settings, such as the type of browser you use and what plug-ins you have installed. This keeps us from bothering you every time you enter the site in order to make sure that you have the necessary equipment to download information from our sites. It also allows us to know how many people are using certain types of software, so that we can adjust our site to provide the best browsing experience for every visitor.
- Your language and region choice. This means that if you have once chosen English as a language this is the default language that will be used when you revisits us.
- The last time we asked you to participate in a survey and whether you answered it so we do not prompt you too often.
- Your movement on and usage of our sites. We do not collect personal data as part of this. We collect statistical data so we can optimize our site.
- Recently used data – to improve performance. In case we store personal data in a cookie, the information will be encrypted and thus safe.
Session cookies and persistent cookies
There are basically two types of cookies: “session cookies” and “persistent cookies”. The session cookies are related to the current visit to the website and are deleted automatically when you close your browser. Persistent cookies will be stored on your computer. Persistent cookies self-delete after a certain period but will be renewed every time you visit the website.
How to avoid and delete cookies?
If you do not want us to place or read cookies on your computer, you can deselect cookies in your browser where you can select the cookies that are to be allowed, blocked or deleted.
If you are using a PC and a recent browser and you want to remove the cookies that are already placed on your computer, press CTRL + SHIFT + DELETE at the same time.
If the hot keys do not work in your browser, visit the support site of the relevant browser.
If you choose not to accept cookies at all, you can still visit our website, however we cannot guarantee an optimum experience without cookies.