Utrecht, The Netherlands
December 20, 2018
The next offshore wind innovation site in the Netherlands will feature two V164-9.5 MW turbines from MHI Vestas, the 5th Dutch offshore wind park for the wind turbine supplier.
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind, in signing a firm order with Two Towers Consortium for the Borssele V Offshore Wind Farm, will supply two V164-9.5 MW turbines for the project. The 19 MW project has been designated as an innovation site that will test various innovations in and around the turbines.
“We are extremely proud that the Netherlands will be home to our next test project,” said MHI Vestas Chief Technology Officer, Torben Hvid Larsen. “Borssele V confirms once again that MHI Vestas is committed to continuous learning and collaborating with industry partners on innovations that will advance our collective knowledge and propel our industry forward.”
The two-turbine project, slated for installation in 2020, will implement several innovations to improve environmental standards and contribute to the renewable energy transition in the Netherlands:
- To connect the monopile and transition piece, the innovative ‘slip joint’ technology will be applied. This technology, developed in collaboration with Van Oord, has two major advantages: it is maintenance-free, and it reduces installation time, which could result in significant cost savings.
- Also, revolutionary eco-designs for scour protection will be tested to determine the effect on the maritime environment. Part of the innovation is the use of scour protection in creating reef systems, including oyster reefs, which will help promote a healthy and diverse marine ecosystem.
Borssele V will be located 20km off the coast of Zeeland and within site III of the Borssele Wind Farm zone and will provide clean energy for 25,000 households.
The project will be the 5th offshore wind park in the Netherlands for MHI Vestas, which will have an install base of 218 turbines and 1.1 GW in Dutch waters at the completion of the project.
For further information contact:
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind
T: +45 8844 8950
About MHI Vestas Offshore Wind
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind is a joint venture between Vestas Wind Systems A/S 50% and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) 50%. The company’s focus is to design, manufacture, install and service wind turbines for the offshore wind industry. The company aims to create sustainable value through offshore wind power by driving capital and operating savings and increasing the power output of wind turbines. An innovative force in offshore wind since its inception in 2014, the company is guided by its founding principles of collaboration, trust, technology and commitment. For more information, see www.mhivestasoffshore.com or follow @MHIVestas on Twitter.
About Borssele V
• Capacity: 19 MW
• Project Owner: Two Towers B.V.
• Location: The Netherlands, 20km off the coast within site III of the Borssele Wind Farm zone
• Turbines: 2 x V164-9.5 MW (both will be tested in a 10 MW configuration during certain test periods)
• Installation year: 2020
• Innovation site
o Gearbox testing to 10 MW
o Slip joint technology between monopile and transition piece
o New eco-design for scour protection to promote healthy marine ecosystem
• Service contract: MHI Vestas, 14.5-year service agreement
• Clean energy for 25,000 homes
About Two Towers Consortium
Two Towers is an initiative sponsored by Van Oord, Investri Offshore and Green Giraffe. For further information please contact Mr. Erik de Boer, Project Director Two Towers B.V. by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).