DONG Energy and MHI Vestas Offshore Wind have entered into a conditional agreement regarding phase 1 of the Walney Extension Offshore Wind Farm in the UK, comprising 330 MW.
As soon as the project translates into a firm and unconditional order MHI Vestas Offshore Wind will disclose further information about the project.
For more information, please contact:
Matt Whitby, Press Officer
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind
Tel: +45 2250 7131
About MHI Vestas Offshore Wind
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind is a joint venture between Vestas Wind Systems A/S 50% and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) 50%. The company’s sole focus is to design, manufacture, install and service wind turbines for the offshore wind industry. The company aims to drive down the cost of energy from offshore wind parks by driving capital and operating savings, and increasing output of wind turbines by bringing the best technology to the market. The company is founded on collaboration, and creating powerful partnerships with key stakeholders will be the cornerstone of its business model.
About the V164-8.0 MW
• 8 MW rated power, with an optimal rotor to generator ratio
• 80 m blades, the equivalent of nine double decker London buses
• Each blade weighs 35 tonnes
• Swept area of 21.124 m2 , larger than the London Eye
• The nacelle is 20 m long, 8 m wide and 8 m high, weighing approximately 390 tonnes
• Approximate hub height of 10 5m (Østerild prototype 140 m)
• Approximate tip height of 187 m (Østerild prototype 220 m)
• Reduces operational and maintenance costs by enabling customers to run fewer, larger turbines
• World record production by a single wind turbine of 192 MWh in 24 hour period (October 2014)
About the history of MHI Vestas Offshore Wind
• September 27, 2013: Joint venture between MHI and Vestas announced.
• December 2013: First V164 – 8.0 MW wind turbine completed and installed
• January 2014: V164 – 8.0M W produces first power
• April 1, 2014: MHI Vestas Offshore Wind officially launched
• October 5, 2014: V164-8.0 MW smashes world power record for power produced by a wind turbine (up to 16,000 British households)
• November 11, 2014: MHI Vestas Offshore Wind announces UK Industrial Strategy
• November 12, 2014: MHI Vestas Offshore Wind awarded Renewable UK “Breakthrough of the year 2014”
• December 19, 2014: First V164-8.0 MW order from DONG for Burbo Bank Extension project
• December 31, 2014: V164-8.0 MW awarded Offshore Wind Turbine of the Year
• May 18, 2015: MHI Vestas Offshore Wind signs its largest offshore order 400 MW Rampion project